Tuesday, July 15, 2008

American Idols-In Concert

A group of friends and I went to the "E" center last night to partake in a little Idol worship. It was such a fun show and one of the loudest that I have ever been to. The loudness factor wasn't for the usual reason however. The crowd was on fire for David Archuleta.

Anytime his name was mentioned, face was flashed or "Risky Business" commercial was shown, the noise from the cheering crowd was deafening. It was actually really cool and I was glad for David A.

Recap of the show:

Chikize opened the show. He was incredible, what a fantastic performer with a fantastic voice. This show is all covers really so they were all able to perform songs from their styles and he picked some Usher-"Caught Up" which was terrific and a little John Legend which I also enjoyed.
Great way to start off the night!

Ramiele- I won't even bother to tell you about this performance. She's a cute girl but her voice is just not strong, bless her heart. And she had to follow the Chik, not good for her let me tell you.

Michael Johns-is it just me or has he always been that attractive. He did mostly Queen covers and I thought it was great! He seemed really comfortable on stage and the crowd had a good time as well.

Kristy Lee Cook- Alecia and I had are fingers ready for eye poking when it was her turn, but she actually did a pretty good job. She knows how to use what she's got to work with and I'd say her "moves" were the best of the night. Actually this was probably a tie between her and Syesha, but I digress. She sang "God Bless America" and closed with a nice rockin' country song which I thought suited her very well. I never needed to poke an eye once. So thumbs up!

Carly- I really like her, and we decided that a Michael Johns/Carly concert would be such fun. She opened with Evanessence and close with "Crazy on You" be Heart. As I heart, Heart I enjoyed. Thought she was a great performer.

Brooke-Got some of the biggest cheers of the night. She used the double reference of saying "This is the place" and proceeded to have an amazing performance two of the three songs sung were "Yellow" by Coldplay and a great cover of "1, 2, 3, 4" by Feist.

I waited until almost the end of intermission for my bathroom break as Jason Castro was first after and I didn't care to see him perform. However the bathroom gods combined against me as I have never in my life experienced a shorter line for the Women's restroom at any sort of public event. So I caught all 3 of his songs......

Jason Castro-Still looked stoned but all in all I thought he did well. His voice sounded better than I remembered. He opened with "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" The Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo'ole version. He played the Uke and did pretty well. Then he sang "Daydream" by Lovin' Spoonful. He commented that he was only introduced to this song through the show. I was a bit surprised by this. Finally he ended with "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley. Which I thought was a pretty interesting rendition.

Syesha-I will preface by saying she bugs. She opened with a Rhianna number "Umbrella". Followed by and Alicia Keys number. At this point I have to be honest I thought she was singing songs way out of her league. However her last version was "Listen" from DreamGirls. This song blew me away! I had chills, I thought it was one of the best performances of the night.

David Archuleta- He came up on the piano singing "Angels" which was classic. You couldn't hear most of the song over the crowd roaring their support for the home town hero. Same thing throughout his entire performance. It was so loud that I was surprised the roof didn't blow right off. He was very emotional and adorable through all 4 of his songs. He did such a fantastic job and his version of "Stand By Me" was completely to die for.

David Cook-Bless him, had to follow the Arch in Utah. He did a great job, I really enjoyed his version of "Hello" which we are all familiar with, he obviously sang the Idol song, and he sang his cover of "Billie Jean" which I thought was amazing live.

So there you have it. My recap of how I thought all the Idols did. What a great night and thanks to Brian helping me to open my mind to the joy of David Cook, I felt like I especially saw him through new eyes and could even see myself perhaps purchasing his album. Stranger things have happened.

11 comments:

KA said...

It pleases me that you can feel some love for Cook finally. And I wish I could have heard Listen. You know how I love that song.

My Life as a Dog said...

Nice recap. Now I felt like I was there. Glad you are lovin Cook a little. He deserves it. Don't get me wrong Archie is my favorite but Cook is very likable.

You really should check out Archie's version of Crazy on myfoxutah.com. (I'm sure it was better than Castro.)

Lindsay said...

K,
I wish you could have heard it to. It really was so good. Even she seemed a little surprised with how good her performance was. And you know how she never doubts how good she is. In this instance she was right to believe!

Lindsay said...

B,
I'll be checking out myfoxutah.com asap. It goes with out saying that Arch's brand of crazy better than castro's so I'm sure it's good.

Anonymous said...

Oh man... I am dying here! We are going tonight and soooooo excited! Cannot wait to see David Archuleta and David Cook!!!!

I all ready had it planned out in my planner that potty break would be during Jason Castro's "musical numbers".... LOL So apparently if tonight is anything like last night, I won't have a very big line to wait in? Hmmm...

Sounds like a blast, Lindsay. I'm glad y'all had fun! I'll post my American Idols Tour Concert blog recap tomorrow. :)

Anonymous said...

Jason Castro is an incredible artist. His version of Crazy is moving and heartfelt. It was one of my favorite performances from last night.

Archie will always be my favorite but Jason elevated in my assessment of his talent.

Cook is great but no Daughtry.

The MacMizzles said...

Hmmm...wish I could have been there. This season has some pretty strong hitters. For me, it really just boiled down to which genre someone prefers. I am so glad you enjoyed yourself. :) What a fun evening for you. Great recap as well.

Anonymous said...

Cook is no Daughtry...and thank heaven for that! ;)

Justin said...

wish we could have gone. glad you had a good time!

Annie said...

i loved it too!!! So much fun...thanks for the recap

Unknown said...

Ha ha! I couldn't think of anything witty to say (not that my comments are ever witty) but then I found I'd already commented! Who knew you'd know two Sunny's!