Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Paring Down

I've had a very unique set of opportunities given to me since I arrived back in the States in April. Opportunities that I have been truly humbled by and am so grateful for. I had a very clear vision for my life up until that point. My life was full of lots of things some important and quite a few things that were not so much.

As I came home I really felt blessed to have some room made in my life. I had precious time given to me to evaluate what are the important things to keep in my life. Deciding how to fill the empty space up has been a life changing experience.

Getting ready to move has really caused me to reflect. Using my material possessions as a reference point I've pondered on how most of my worldly "treasures" have been put in a storage unit for almost 2 years.

It's amazing to me that I really haven't missed them and in fact it has made me think a lot more about the things I buy. Why am I buying it? Does it have a purpose? Do I really need this? Does it have a place? Where will I keep it?

Even though I now have the opportunity to live with my things about me again, I hope that I will remember the lessons of the past 2 years. I want to only have around me both temporally and spiritually things that bring me actual joy. I hope that in the midst of moving on to this new phase of my life I can remember to ask myself, Will this bring me joy? Do I really need this? Does it have a place in my life?

What a difference a few months can make in a life. I believe mine has truly been enlarged and expanded. Here's to a New Year filled with joy and purpose.

6 comments:

KA said...

I love the clarity that comes from internal inventory. We can never have enough of that...

Justin said...

So am I supposed to feel guilty that my DVDs occupy more space in our house than Lily does?

wendy said...

I now agree with Heidi when she said that she would rather have her old stuff just burn in an "accidental" fire than have to move them to a new house! Good luck on the move! I am so happy for you, now I will really have to come visit.

jennie said...

What a feeling of empowerment! I need to do that with my life. Does this bring me joy? If not, I should toss it, or not buy it. Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

Great post Linds. I have recently learned that a DVR brings me joy and I am mourning the loss of it.

Anonymous said...

Lindsay, I'm so happy for you! I'm glad everything is going so well for you. You deserve every ounce of happiness and it's obvious the Lord is looking our for you.
Take care!